Acceptable Use Policy
Dedicated to providing superior quality, affordable web hosting
Purplecat is dedicated to providing superior quality, affordable web hosting to promote creative, informational, and enjoyable aspects of the modern information age.
Purplecat reserves the right to review all content and request that some be removed, or to terminate hosting contracts, without refund if an account is found to be in opposition of the mission statement above.
Termination of your hosting agreement must be made in writing 30 days before the end of the current billing period (annual quarter).
Whether managing your domain’s registration or not, Purplecat Networks Inc. will never modify the listed Registrant (legal owner) of your domain without your written request.
Websites with overdue outstanding balances may be replaced by a purplecat.net banner page. Once suspended, a $25.00 reactivation fee will be added to the total amount due.
Purplecat reserves the right to modify these policies without notice.
Receipt of payment for hosting by Purplecat Networks Inc. signifies that you agree to the terms of our standard hosting agreement as applicable to your package level which will be automatically adjusted based on your site’s usage trends.
Code of Ethics
Adopted from the IEEE Code of Ethics.
In recognition of the importance of our technologies in affecting the quality of life throughout the world, and in accepting a personal obligation to our profession, its members and the communities we serve, we do hereby commit ourselves to the highest ethical and professional conduct and agree:
- to accept responsibility in making engineering decisions consistent with the safety, health and welfare of the public, and to disclose promptly factors that might endanger the public or the environment;
- to avoid real or perceived conflicts of interest whenever possible, and to disclose them to affected parties when they do exist;
- to be honest and realistic in stating claims or estimates based on available data;
- to reject bribery in all its forms;
- to improve the understanding of technology, its appropriate application, and potential consequences;
- to maintain and improve our technical competence and to undertake technological tasks for others only if qualified by training or experience, or after full disclosure of pertinent limitations;
- to seek, accept, and offer honest criticism of technical work, to acknowledge and correct errors, and to credit properly the contributions of others;
- to treat fairly all persons regardless of such factors as race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, or national origin;
- to avoid injuring others, their property, reputation, or employment by false or malicious action;
- to assist colleagues and co-workers in their professional development and to support them in following this code of ethics.
- Prohibited Uses. Customers and Users may not:
- Utilize the Services to send unsolicited bulk and/or commercial messages over the Internet (known as “spam” or “spamming”). It is not only harmful because of its negative impact on consumer attitudes toward the Company, but also because it can overload the Company’s network and disrupt service to its Customers subscribers. Maintaining an open SMTP relay is prohibited. Any direct action, configuration, or setting that causes excessive outbound email traffic is subject to review and possible action. When a complaint is received, the Company has the absolute and sole discretion to determine from all of the evidence whether the email recipients were from an “opt-in” email list, or whether the outbound email traffic generated from an account is suitable for a shared hosting environment.
- Utilize the Services in connection with any illegal activity. Without limiting the general application of this rule, Customers and Users may not:
- Utilize the Services to copy material from third parties (including text, graphics, music, videos or other copyrightable material) without proper authorization;
- Utilize the Services to misappropriate or infringe the patents, copyrights, trademarks or other intellectual property rights of any third party;
- Utilize the Services to traffic in illegal drugs, illegal gambling, obscene materials or other any products or services that are prohibited under applicable law;
- Utilize the Services to export encryption software to points outside the United States in violation of applicable export control laws;
- Utilize the Services to Forge or misrepresent message headers, whether in whole or in part, to mask the originator of the message; or
- Utilize the Services in any manner that violates applicable law.
- Utilize the Services in connection with any tortious or actionable activity. Without limiting the general application of this rule, Customers and Users may not:
- Utilize the Services to publish or disseminate information that (A) constitutes slander, libel or defamation, (B) publicizes the personal information or likeness of a person without that person’s consent or (C) otherwise violates the privacy rights of any person. Utilize the Services to threaten persons with bodily harm, to make harassing or abusive statements or messages, or to solicit the performance of acts or services that are illegal under applicable law.
- Utilize the Services in connection with any other disruptive or abusive activity. Without limiting the general application of this rule, Customers and Users may not:
- Utilize the Services to cause denial of service attacks against the Company or other network hosts or Internet users or to otherwise degrade or impair the operation of the Company’s servers and facilities or the servers and facilities of other network hosts or Internet users; or
- Post messages or software programs that consume excessive CPU time, or storage space, or network bandwidth; or
- Utilize the Services to offer mail services, mail forwarding capabilities, POP accounts or auto responders other than for the User’s own account; or
- Utilize the Services to resell access to CGI scripts installed on the Company’s servers; or
- Utilize the Services to subvert, or assist others in subverting, the security or integrity of any the Company systems, facilities or equipment; or
- Utilize the Services to gain unauthorized access to the computer networks of the Company or any other person; or
- Utilize the Services to provide passwords or access codes to persons not authorized to receive such materials by the operator of the system requiring the password or access code; or
- Utilize the Services to (A) forge the signature or other identifying mark or code of any other person, (B) impersonate or assume the identity or any other person, or (C) engage in any other activity (including “spoofing”) to attempt to deceive or mislead other persons regarding the true identity of the User (excluding the use of anonymous re-mailers or Internet nicknames); or
- Utilize the Services to distribute or post any virus, worm, Trojan horse, or computer code intended to disrupt services, destroy data, destroy or damage equipment, or disrupt the operation of the Services; or
- Utilize the Services to conduct port scans or other invasive procedures against any server (except any server for which the User is an authorized system administrator); or
- Utilize the Services to distribute, advertise or promote software or services that have the primary purpose of encouraging or facilitating unsolicited commercial e-mail or Spam; or
- Utilize the Services to solicit or collect, or distribute, advertise or promote, e-mail address lists for the purpose of encouraging or facilitating unsolicited commercial e-mail or Spam; or
- Utilize the Services in any manner that might subject the Company to unfavorable regulatory action, subject the Company to any liability for any reason, or adversely affect the Company’s public image, reputation or goodwill, including, without limitation, sending or distributing sexually explicit, hateful, vulgar, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable materials as determined by the Company in its sole discretion; or
- While on a shared hosting platform, utilize, operate, enable, execute, compile, upload or publicly store source code, executable code, programs, or software packages designed to perform tasks not directly associated with website/email hosting, including, without limitation, (A) directly opening any listening port, (B) starting any ‘daemon’ process, (C) performing local/remote security scans, (D) simulating local shell/OS access by means of a tunneled/encapsulated connection to a remote host, (E) circumventing firewall restrictions, (F) connecting to any IRC/Peer to Peer file sharing server/network, (G) providing ‘tracker’ services to ‘BitTorrent’ clients and/or (H) exploiting web browser vulnerabilities, as determined by the Company in its sole discretion; or
- Attempt to attack, disrupt, or abuse the support- and contact-related mechanisms of the Company, including, but not limited to, telephone lines, email addresses, fax lines, bulletin boards or contact/signup forms; or
- Utilize the Services in any other manner to interrupt or interfere with the Internet usage of other persons;
- Insecure Content Management System (CMS) codebase or plugins are not permitted and will be configured to auto-update or removed. Starting in 2016, to further ensure the smooth operation of mail service, only individual mail accounts are permitted on our servers. All list oriented ‘broadcast’ style mail must be sent through third-party services or dedicated mail services built for that purpose.